Sunday 30 January 2011

Restoration time




Restoration time, there's been a bit of talk about restoring, or getting round to restoring our old bikes. So I thought I'd have a look round the Internet to see what others have or are doing, also to see how they put it down on paper what they've been doing, just to give me a head start for when I report on one of mine.

I came across one on a BMW R75/5 which I thought was interesting, not too much tech, but does have links to some important info, good clear pics (a good pics worth a thousand words), and the important bit he finishes the bike.

There's also a bit about how to store the bike for long periods.

I might do a bit on my Kawasaki 1100 Spectre rebuild once it finished, just paintwork and seat to do...

Larry had a bit of a problem finding the link to the R75/5 site, but he did find this following link from the other end of the spectrum, every detail is noted down.... http://penforhire.wordpress.com/

click title to go to BMW R75/5 restoration

5 comments:

  1. Had a quick look over and it looked to be pretty good. From what I read, it didn't sound to be too bad going. BMWs have a good reputation from what I hear. Rode a K100 model for a week and was impressed with it, ran flawlessly from the Midlands to Edinburgh and back without a hitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if I went to same site (my mobile kept re-booting) when I clicked on the title), but I did find a site on a R75/5 by doing a search. Interesting, but when I saw his total of costs was near 10,000 dollars!! Good thing I have a friend that owns BMW's, so I can ride his now and then. His 1966 500 scores high in the "grin factor" department. Earles fork, that old styling that looks like it came from before WW2 basic black and pin-striping. HL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think it must have been a different site Larry you landed on, this one starts off as a Black bike with a bent frame... and ends up as the photo Blue

    I used a BMW R100RS for my first and only trip to the Isle of Man TT in 84, once I got used to the way it handled it was great.

    Bodger, would one like an old BMW to use for next years Haggis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, sounds like a winner there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah it was a different site. My mobile let me see the one you have marked. Interesting site. Have to get back and give it a good read. HL

    ReplyDelete