Saturday 18 June 2011

MZ pt2

The plan to look at the TS 250 on Friday got sort of rained off, literally. So did my trip up to Knockhill to watch the British Superbikes today (Sat). So in between showers, too may Kawas in the big shed to work inside, I spent may be an hour checking the the TS over. Nothing seemed a miss, just a few parts to refit and a couple of wires to sort. On Thursday night I had filled the new battery, it came with the bike, and charged it so it was ready fit. Popped in the battery, check what was/ wasn't working with the electrics, only real the indicators not working. The fuel tank had fuel in it, and I suspect its been there since the tax disc ran out in Feb 09, but I'll give it a try. Following Mikes (Mr Combo) instructions on starting, I was shocked that with the second kick with ignition on it STARTED!! After about 30sec the choke was off and it was idling away nicely, and the engine is very quiet, no ringing from the cylinder or rattles!! nice one! While running I thought I'd check the charging system, yip its charging but just a bit too much... 16 volts at just off tick over. So I'll have to look into the problem. I did notice its got what looks like a more modern voltage regulator than I expected to see. I think I'll be taking a few pics and asking for a pointers on the MZ sites.... All in its turning out better than I thought :-)

7 comments:

  1. Well done! Another old MZ going back on the road. Looks like you've struck gold - Honda brake, Hagon shocks, 12V conversion. If you take the casing off and find one of these http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7342/7342main.htm
    then you're a very lucky man!

    Norman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good show Kawa. Probably a lot better than my HD would do from sitting so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norman, its got one of those, ETZ dynothingy. Just cheched the photos in the link you sent, and it has all the parts, ignition coil, relay etc and the same regulator. As you've noticed someone has spent a lot of time and money on this bike. I am really looking forward to trying out this "sorted" TS 250 :-)

    Thanks Bodger, am really happy with the results so far.... sell the HD and buy a MZ

    kawa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, and already sorted. How are the innertubes? I say that, cuz last time I thought I had my SL-350 sorted, after a lay-off, the inner tubes let me down. They had rotted right where the valve stem attaches to the tube. A Honda brake? Maybe that's why it reminded me of my Superhawk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the jobs still to do Larry is look at the slow puncture on rear tyre, so I might just replace both tubes. The front hubs off a CB160, same "vintage" as the Superhawk

    Larry still cant leave comment on your site, need check my settings again!

    kawa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering if it was something on my end, but Bodger gets through. Seems GBC is having probs too...is there a wire loose somewhere in Scotland? I've been playing around with browsers...my puter came set up with Bing...trying Google Chrome now. It seems to load sites up quicker...we'll see...I still don't understand all this blogger stuff, I think I'd rather puzzle out the shift mechanism to a 60's Suzuki than figure out all these settings...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sell the HD for a MZ....one tractor for another!? :P

    Seriously thinking about getting rid of the HD in favor of a nice BSA or a Commando or even a Trident/Rocket 3 would be nice.

    ReplyDelete