Friday 4 February 2011

A Summer Run

I wrote this last year after a great day out on my MZ Skorpion, I posted it on http://mzskorpion.info/phpbb2/index.php a forum for riders of MZ Skorpions.
Thought it would remind us what nice days out in the sun are like....


Went out for a run on the Skorp yesterday, first time in about a month. Started off heading for Stirling with on real plan and ended up going up behind the Ochil hills on the Sheriff muir road, a nice road with the odd passing place and great views North and South. The road comes out on the A9, so not wishing to use the rat race road to Perth I headed for Braco and on to Creiff, was nice to have the road to myself most of the way. After a quick stop in Creiff I headed east a bit to the Sma' Glen road, fantastic bit of road, didn't take any pics as I was enjoying it so much, not in loony mode but just making progress.
Next stop was in Kenmore at the East end of Loch Tay, I just had to have an ice cream, so sat down outside the shop, ate it and done a bit of people watching. Just watching all the cars go by with all the sour face occupants (probably wishing they were home watching the re runs of the "Soaps") made me glad I was out enjoying the roads on the bike...
Where to head next, along the north Loch Tay road or that single track road(?) they call a road up through Glen Lyon. Well the Sun was out and I was in no hurry so it was off up the Glen road, and a good choice it was, the scenery was brilliant.




A stop at the Post Office/ tearoom at Bridge of Balgie was on the cards before heading over the hill on the Benlawers road.






Through the Village of Killin, didn't stop, too many tourists, and my first fuel stop at Lix toll Garage (famous for Land Rovers), 100km and 5.5 litres not too bad.
On the way South towards Lochearnhead there is a nice snack van at Glen Ogil, I stopped in , not for food, but to see who was there. No one I knew but did get chatting to a couple of guys with Vincents, and a someone out on their Ariel for a cup of tea.




A fairly un eventful run from there down to Lochearnhead and on to Comrie, other than some power rangers trying to wipe each other out, **** heads. Going in to Comrie I notice two bikes in the car park, they belonged to a couple of my mates, so a quick stop was had. A few tales of the day were passed about and a bit of catching up. So the plan now was the three of us to head to Perth, down (up) through Glen Farg , onto and down the side of Loch Leven. While passing the gliding school I try to keep my eyes on the road and not watch the gliders while riding. A few more miles and we were at James house for a cuppa and a wee look in the shed... all in a good end to a great day out an about

3 comments:

  1. Looked like a good ride and day out there Kawa. One of these days I'll have to do a ride there in the summer. Beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well its not too far from where I am, about an hour will get you to the Tea room/ Post Office...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice looking scenery. Nice to run into your mates. Seems most of my riding is solo these days.Life has conspired to keep my mates too busy these days to get out and about. Some of the pics remind me of foothills and mountains here. One of these days I'd like to get over and partake of some riding there. I was surprised how SFB's shots of spain looked so much like places in California. So much planet to explore. Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete