Tuesday 21 June 2011

CRMC at Knockhill

The CRMC were at Knockhill race circuit on June 4th and 5th for their 5th round. I had heard from a few friends about how much they had enjoyed the meeting the year before, so I thought I'd go up for a few hours on the Saturday. I arrived just before 10am to a dry but overcast Knockhill, for those that don't know his place it has a weather system all of its own, the sun could be out a few miles down the the road, but when you get to the track it could be wet and windy (usually is!!!).
A not so quick look round the pit area, with so many interesting machines to view, people to talk to the time flew in.


I love the look of the Tri/ BSA triples


P&M Kawas :-)

Main reason to be there was to watch the racing so I headed down to the hairpin. No sooner than I got there I spotted two people in the distance jumping up and down, it was none other than Bill and Kat, whos tales of last year had lured me here today.
An hour or so of watching some great racing was followed by a bite to eat then a look at the pits again. Its good being able to have a close up look at the bikes and talk to the owners/ riders, so different from the "modern" race meetings.


Just doing a quick crankshaft change in a Suzuki 200T

The afternoons racing went well, with only a few "offs" and nothing serious.


Watching the sidecar nutters was one of the days highlights, these guys were putting 110% into it, the race at the front between the BMW and NRE was fantastic, I never knew an old BMW twin could go so quick.


No7 is the NRE Triumph and No8 the BMW

The plan to head home at five ended up streching out till eight... and the one day visit turned into two as I head up the next day for another Classic Racing fix.

Talking to few of my mates about the weekend I think there might be a few more of us up there next year... even plans of a few bikes going ouy on the parade laps... more of that later


Best pic of the weekend, get them started young, working on Dads Ducati !

click title to see a few more (lots) pics

4 comments:

  1. Excellent Kawa....haven't seen a road race in years but I'd much prefer seeing the classics run vs the modern stuff.

    Loved going to Silverstone and Mallory back in the 70s seeing Sheene, Grant, Williams' (Peter, John and Charlie) Du Hamel and a couple of the TransAtlantic Matches at Mallory.

    Not to mention my one and only trip to the Island in 76.

    Real good times, 'specially when yer mate who had a pass to get inthe good places would slip it through the fence for ya to use as well.

    Those were damn good times.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics Kawa.The sights and sounds of racing. Going out on the track sounds like fun. Always loved the sound of the BSA/Triumph triples. The Island Bodger, definitely on my wish list. Sidecar nutters, ha ha. Somewhere I have a video of a movie called "Sidecar racers".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot about the BSA....looks really nice, along with the Triumphs.

    Agree with getting the sprogs interested young....easier than trying when they're older and start acting like chavs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get shivers when I see those sidecar racers. I had one Bmeer like the one in your pic that I raced in the Skandinavian Classic Racing Cup for many years. I sold to the UK some 6 or 7 years ago. Was blue with some orange squares on, it might be repainted now.
    There is nothing like the sound of a BMW flat twin at some 9000RPM :-)

    ReplyDelete