Saturday 9 July 2011

TriYam or is it YamTri?... No its Triamaha


This is a follow up from the Friday Bike post showing Vics Triyam (?)
So here are a few words from Vic....


I take no credit for building the bike, I bought it in 1996, although I have rebuilt the engine and fitted hardened valve seats, new oil pump, boyer ignition and battery less ignition, resprayed it twice as I came off it one year on the Jimmy Guthrie memorial run first time out after the respray, rebuilt the back hub, and other small mods but wanted to leave it as it was built.

It was built by a guy called Steve Falusi from Sheldon Co Durham and he won best Street Racer at the Isle of Man in I think 1983.

Below is an extract from his letter to me after I tracked him down a few years ago:

{I started off with a TD2B rolling chassis from a 250cc Yamaha. The idea was to squeeze a 500cc Triumph engine into this very light frame.

As it would have originally looked.


I had to modify the lower part of the frame as the engine was too big for the frame. I also included rubber mounting to try and overcome the vibration from the engine. As there was no room for an oil tank on the frame I also had to modify the petrol tank and fitted an inner tank for the oil.




The silencers are made by hand from stainless steel, the brake pedal also had to be hand made. Air intake covers on the brakes were also made of stainless steel.




Some of the covers on the engine have been machined to take O ring type seals to overcome oil leaks. The oil filter is from a Triton.}

Last time out was up to Shetland Classic Show in 2008 and on up to Skaw the official end of the U.K. road system. On the way back the head cracked, but I have it welded up and back on now so hopefully I will get round to getting it back on the road soon.

Vic.

4 comments:

  1. I call it a Triamaha !
    Vic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! sorry Vic... see title now

    kawa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Triamaha, rolls off the tongue better and sounds less like a vegetable...interesting to hear the story behind the picture. Very nice bike Vic.

    ReplyDelete